Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Da Vinci Code and Art in the Park

I went to see The Da Vinci Code last night with Thane. He wanted to see it after reading the book, to see how the movie compares. I wanted to see what the hubbub was all about without reading the book. Boy, was a silly little story.

I believe it's been out a couple weeks now, and it is probably going to be pulled from theaters real soon; the Forum showing we went to had five people watching it, including Thane and me. Thane says that the movie isn't completely like the book, and that it fails to embellish certain very important parts that in the book were elaborated to no end.

Afterwards, we both drove back to my place and Thane came in for a while. We had been discussing the movie, and religion, and other things. Eventually we started talking about faith and apologetics and evidence of the truth of Christianity. Thane was telling me about what the book Case for Faith is like, and his intentions to read Case for Christ later on. He made an exceptional point in an exceptionally simple way though, when he said that he doesn't want his faith to be a "proof". He considers himself a poor evangelist, in the sense that he isn't a walk up to strangers share your faith and answer every question kind. He was making the point that any book for or against Christianity has an author's bias, and of course they will prove themselves right. If you base all of your faith off of logical arguments and evidence, Thane said, you miss the whole point of faith, which is a matter of your heart. So simple and profound, he told me how he thinks so much Christian evidence literature merely makes the issue complex, when in his heart it is far more simple of an understanding. Incredible.

Earlier in the day yesterday I went to Art in the Park with Kelly Coffey and Dan Cotter. Out of all the things I looked at with the potential of buying, I bought an Art in the Park can koozie and can of lemonade. There's my souvenier.