Monday, June 26, 2006

Creating

I've had a $25 gift card to Wal-Mart just lying around for over a year now, so I decided to use it today. I had earlier had the idea to possibly buy a canvas and some paint, and paint my own abstract or contemporary-ish art to hang in my room or somewhere around the house, to add some color. I figured it would be cheaper than buying something, and nicer than a poster. Well, I went to Michael's first, and their painting supply is high-dollar. Disappointing.

I later found some 16"x20" canvases at Wal-Mart, as well as some cheap acryllic paint. I bought primary colors and black and white in big $1.67 tubes, more than enough for the canvases (maybe I can make more art later). I also bought a candle, and a wooden box in the craft area that I thought looked nice for a dresser organizer (I put my keys, watch, cufflinks, etc., in it to take away clutter).

It feels good to be able to beautify a living space, even a temporary one. Having a creative flow at times, be it art, furniture aranging, writing, singing, dancing, or anything (I'm also honing a green thumb with some peach trees I put in pots out back) helps produce a worshipful heart. It helps me to appreciate the creative flow that was used to bring to existance all the somethings I am now working into an aesthetic form from nothing; the beautiful colors of art, the wonderous music of Bach, the slow eloquence of a plant blossoming, were all truly original ideas. We are simply working it all into what it was intended for: beauty.