Sunday, September 10, 2006

Last wedding of the season

Today I attended my fifth (yes 5th) wedding of this year. No one else that I know of is getting married before the end of the year, and that's good, because one season of giving wedding gifts is enough to break the bank. I easily spent an undisclosed large sum of money altogether on wedding gifts. Sheesh!

Weddings can be incredibly wonderful, and sometimes difficult. Incredibly wonderful predominates however, as I am usually very excited to be able to participate in a lovely couple's special day and celebrate with them. Difficult sometimes in that if I'm not careful I can either 1.) start to feel the wedding-fever creep up and make me feel like I need to start looking for my own wife-to-be, or 2.) remind me that I haven't gotten to that point of finding someone to marry yet. I'm glad that for today's wedding, I was able to avoid falling into both traps. Now, about the wedding.

Aaron Ferguson and Stevi Davis had known each other since I can remember. I had always wondered if they ever thought about dating each other, or were ever going to date each other. Somehow in the back of my mind I saw it as a future possibility. After all, I knew one and the other in tandem amongst a small group of friends I had. Eventually, they coupled together, and some time later we now find them deep in the woods, at Stevi's parent's property; Fern Lake.

The wedding was held outside, in a meandering glade that overlooked a receeding lake. The air smelled damp and green, and when I pulled up I noticed how casual things seemed to be. As for the wedding ceremony, the bride and groom exhanged vows under a sheet that had been decorated with their very vows written into it, hung via a canopy truss. There was no large procession of groomsmen or bridesmaids, just the man and the woman. As I had already told Aaron, the thing I enjoyed best about the wedding was how much of it was a reflection of Stevi and him, and how much of it was done without hiring outside help. That I think was part of their goal, and I think part of the simple charm of the wedding. No big entourage, just God and the guests, to witness and celebrate two becomming one.