Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Drawing first blood, finding a purpose

It's the third week of class for me now (all those undergrads who started today have it way too easy), and the year is out of the gates and running. It's incredible that a half month has already flown by. Time is so short when you stop to think about it. Maybe it's no wonder why so many people these days get so busy; they've learned that there's only so much time they have on this earth to accomplish something, and they're working hard to get what it is they're trying to do, done. It seems though that the ability to stop and smell the roses is still eluding most of us. As the wise philosopher Bueller once said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." All too true. I missed a lot of the last six months because in trying so hard to get from A to Z, I missed B - Y. Worse yet, getting to point Z results in a new point A altogether. Now that I've lost everyone...

In the first two weeks of class we've been addressing endocrine pathology. I don't get especially excited about hormones, which is why lectures on procedures is so much more interesting. With third year rotations starting in only 6 months, I'm drooling to get my hands dirty. So, a recap of procedures learned in the last two weeks:

We've been getting a primer in how to draw blood. First week was venous access, and we drew blood into lab vials. The unsuspecting "patients" who got to be our first needle stick was our very own classmates. It's good to know that the Office of Medical Education likes to protect the hospital patients by making us first stick each other. The blood draw lab was no worries though, and I stuck the median antecubital vein of my partner's inside arm with no sweat. Just for practice, I stuck him again on the back of the hand with a butterfly needle. Even easier the second time. Practice really does make perfect.

Week two we had another blood draw lab, only we were going to be drawing arterial blood. Arterial blood is commonly drawn for arterial blood gas measurement (carbon dioxide, oxygen, pH, and bicarbonate). The artery that is stuck is the radial artery. It's the artery you take your pulse at on your wrist. One slight difference with arteries compared to veins is that they are deeper, and are higher pressure. For this lab, we used manequin arms. Also, to get deep enough to access the artery, the syringe is held like a dart and is taken almost straight down, as opposed to a low angle into a vein. It's a good thing we used manequins; I almost hemorrhaged the arm by leaving the needle in so long the stopper was almost pressed off the top. This week we're supposed to do pulmonary artery catheterization (read: thread a cathether to the heart....on a manequin).

Advanced Physical Diagnosis class could be renamed "Give your teacher a physical" class. I discovered I need some practice at giving physicals.

Following the inspiration of a talk given at church before New Years, I wrote up a personal purpose and mission statement. It was the result of a whole day's work on January 1st. I thought I'd share it for the opportunity to get feedback if anyone wanted to.

Personal Mission Statement

Purpose

I exist to glorify God and love Him with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind by:

  • Living out the character of Christ at home, at school, in my church, in my community, and across the world
  • Pursuing professional excellence through committed ongoing learning, wise management of my time, and empathic relationship building with peers and patients
  • Influencing my family, friends, peers, patients, and others I may meet towards a right relationship with Jesus Christ
  • Championing Biblical principles in bioethics and health care provision

To accomplish my purpose, I intend to:

  • Pursue a right relationship with Jesus Christ through regular and frequent prayer, confession, silence, and solitude
  • Consistently spend time studying the Bible according to a pre-determined plan of study
  • Set aside time at the beginning of each week for introspection and assessment
  • Set aside time daily and weekly to assess my time management and plan ahead for the next day/week
  • Create an organized approach to studying and learning the medical knowledge necessary to achieve my mission
  • Commit to investing in people and scheduling time to do so

Mission

My mission is to love, serve, and heal others as an empathic physician exemplifying the character of Christ with my life; to commit my life to providing morally sound health care to others regardless of age, race, creed, or status; to be devoted to lifelong learning and understanding; to be committed to advancing the kingdom of Christ in my community and internationally; and to be a loving and loyal son, brother, and friend.