Thursday, October 05, 2006

Welcome to the Big Leagues

The summer research jump from last year to this year has been quite a step. I did a small research project, not too terribly important, last summer, that was published in a free online-only journal (in other words, not a real big deal, but worth being proud of).

This past summer, I worked on infectious disease research in the pediatric department at the University's Children's hospital. My mentor, Dr. Mato, gave me and my classmate Amanda assurance that we would most definately see our work published. Yesterday, when I dropped by Dr. Mato's office while up on the pediatrics floor, she spoke of submitting my research for the Pediatric Academic Societys' annual meeting in Toronto for presentation. If my work is accepted, it would mean the chance to present my poster and research in front of doctors and researchers from across the country.

Being only a medical student at best, I was humbled to find out she sees us presenting research amists other researchers who have done this their entire lives. Maybe I won't end up getting to go at all, but I'm excited and hoping that I'll get the chance (and hopefully my classmate Amanda will get the chance to go as well, and we can keep each other company having fun in Toronto).