Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Circumstance, Coincidence

Lately, I've been thinking about Tyler. His desk chair and his electric razor are two things of his that I kept (many people who knew him took items that belonged to him, to put them to use instead of going to trash and to remember him by). Sitting in what was once his chair, I can "visit" with him, in a sense. I know others who knew him are doing the same when they look at pictures, or what they kept of his.

"You are the salt of the earth. Buf if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
--- Jesus, Matthew 5:13-16

This was the foundation for my friend Jack's message at our first Christian Medical-Dental Assoc. medical student group meeting. It was a talk he was giving titled "How to influence Mizzou for Christ," and it was so incredibly moving to be blessed by an hour of talk on what this passage means. The whole time through, I felt like I was being given something Tyler wanted me to have.

Now, I'm cautiously mystical when it comes to circumstance, coincidence, and the like. I'm not sure if people in heaven have any sort of awareness of earthly affairs. My intuition and all my reading in the Bible lead me to say no; the worries of this world and its affairs do not reach those already gone to God. However, I won't discount the possibility that they get the chance to pray before God's throne for us. Or at the very least, God is remembering us for them, and being certain to remind us of those we love who are now with him.

Thanks, Tyler, and thank you, Father.