Skip to main content

The Yellow Man and Facing Mortality

Yesterday in Advanced Physical Diagnosis my classmate Blair and I met a man who was nearing end-stage liver disease. In the book The House of God, there is a patient with hepatitis who is named the Yellow Man, and the description fit well for this patient. My Yellow Man was a lanky gentleman with short messy brown-black hair, with a complexion that could be considered olive under normal circumstances, but was now a sickly yellow tint. All of the waste products from broken down red blood cells that couldn't be cleared through his diseased liver were built up in his blood to the point of making him yellow. Yellow Man said that he had been having nosebleeds for the past two months without relief. In interviewing him it became apparent that he had hepatitis C, a liver infection that eventually leads to scarring and liver failure. It was difficult to determine how he had gotten hepatitis, but he was under the impression it was from a blood transfusion. As his liver became more and more scarred and cirrhotic, it failed to produce the clotting factors needed to stop small bleeding, which resulted in the nosebleeds. The scarred liver also blocked bloodflow back to the heart, leading to distended esophageal varices (veins) as the blood sought to return by another route.

As we started our physical, one of the first things I got a closer look at was the Yellow Man's eyes. As I shined my penlight on them, the white of his eye was completely replaced with a sickly yellow tint. Feeling his abdomen, I could feel his massive liver moving with every breath.

I went to Ed and Beth Courtney's house for a church leaders appreciation dinner, and got to talk with my pastor John Drage. As I told him about the Yellow Man, he asked me how long he had to live. I couldn't say, but said that he is likely nearing the end-stage of disease, as he is losing all normal liver function. I told John he would probably die by bleeding out from a ruptured vein in his esophagus or bowels, or maybe he might succumb to a toxic death as his liver fails to process his body's waste, or maybe he'll die from multiple drug interactions, or something else. John asked me how hard it is to face the reality of working with dying people....

As I was climbing the steps of the parking garage this evening I noticed the hearse parked along the side drive, and then spotted the covered gurney being wheeled to the hearse. It is a scene that most people never see, but happens all the time. It isn't the first time I have ever seen a draped gurney wheeled from the hospital complex, but I've been thinking about mortality since seeing these latest two.

The medical examiner's office is in the same hallway as the anatomy lab in the medical school. It is actually a reasonable distance from the rest of the main hospital building, as though some distance can separate the healthy from the deceased (I'm not certain where the morgue is, but imagine it is likely in the basement, also out of sight). Many people have heard the stories of the false-bottom beds being used to transport dead patients out of sight of everyone else, in an attempt to hide death. Doing everything possible to remove a sense of death from the hospital, I imagine, attempts to convey a sense of health and life. Even in posters and brochures for hospice and end-of-life care the patients look vibrant and lively. Heaven forbid those who walk through the hospital doors never leave breathing.

I've also heard many times how hard it is when your first patient dies. It seems counter to what the doctor is fighting against with his entire existance, yet at some point everone dies. Perhaps it is more comforting for the patient to die outside the hospital, either at home or en route or anywhere else but here, in the house of health and healing. At least then I think I wouldn't have to play the what-if game of what I could have done differently, because I was not able to get to the patient. But once the patient is in the hospital and under my care, the failure to reverse the progression of disease lends to self-doubt. What we all need then is the courage to face the reality that everyone who enters the hospital, from those who work for health and those who seek it, will someday die, and it may just happen while they are trying not to.

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

Circumstance, Coincidence

Lately, I've been thinking about Tyler. His desk chair and his electric razor are two things of his that I kept (many people who knew him took items that belonged to him, to put them to use instead of going to trash and to remember him by). Sitting in what was once his chair, I can "visit" with him, in a sense. I know others who knew him are doing the same when they look at pictures, or what they kept of his. "You are the salt of the earth. Buf if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." --- Jesus, Matthew 5:13-16 This was the foundation for my fri...

Glory, pt. 1

Today was the Rock Equippers retreat. Basically, the equippers retreat is a day long getaway out of town somewhere where the small group leaders can gather together, be encouraged, share stories, and have John Drage remind us of what we have committed to as leaders and renew our commitments to ministry. One of the verses John shared in his introduction of our time together was 1 Peter 2:9. It says: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9 The verse is exceptionally powerful. I was reminded of the following quote: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship....There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal....