Skip to main content

How not to do a physical exam

Yesterday I had APD and was with my classmate/partner and our instructor Dr. Phillips. He introduced us to a woman in the VA who had severe right lower abdominal pain who was admitted Thursday. She was on a morphine drip, and reported that the pain was so terrible she was passing out when she was admitted. Since APD is essentially a class on doing patient histories and physical exams, this was "practice" for us. We spent a good hour asking every question we could, exhausting our minds for medically relevant topics, and only then did a complete physical exam (almost a complete physical).

By the time we reached the physical exam, Dr. Phillips had left to go to the swamp (the residents' workstation room) and said he'd wait for us. As my classmate and I moved through the physical, we reached the abdomen. I gently examined the lady's abdomen, noting that she flinched and guarded when I began to press firmly. I moved back and Blair repeated, with questions in between. As Blair asked the woman a question, I was running in my mind the steps of the physical exam, and realized I needed to determine the woman's liver size. You determine this by lightly tapping the abdomen and listening for the difference in resonance. Something that didn't cross my mind was that this woman was in the hospital with severe abdominal pain, and as soon as i made my first tap (which she was not expecting) she grimaced and groaned in pain, doubling up on her bed.

The moral of the story is, don't do anything on a physical that you haven't informed/warned the patient you are about to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

Glory, pt. 1

Today was the Rock Equippers retreat. Basically, the equippers retreat is a day long getaway out of town somewhere where the small group leaders can gather together, be encouraged, share stories, and have John Drage remind us of what we have committed to as leaders and renew our commitments to ministry. One of the verses John shared in his introduction of our time together was 1 Peter 2:9. It says: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9 The verse is exceptionally powerful. I was reminded of the following quote: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship....There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal....

Last wedding of the season

Today I attended my fifth (yes 5th) wedding of this year. No one else that I know of is getting married before the end of the year, and that's good, because one season of giving wedding gifts is enough to break the bank. I easily spent an undisclosed large sum of money altogether on wedding gifts. Sheesh! Weddings can be incredibly wonderful, and sometimes difficult. Incredibly wonderful predominates however, as I am usually very excited to be able to participate in a lovely couple's special day and celebrate with them. Difficult sometimes in that if I'm not careful I can either 1.) start to feel the wedding-fever creep up and make me feel like I need to start looking for my own wife-to-be, or 2.) remind me that I haven't gotten to that point of finding someone to marry yet. I'm glad that for today's wedding, I was able to avoid falling into both traps. Now, about the wedding. Aaron Ferguson and Stevi Davis had known each other since I can remember. I had always...