Skip to main content

School, Shaving, Serpentine Belts, and Sex

It's been all about the S the last few days.

On Saturday (ironic, it starts with an 'S' day), my battery in my Jeep completely died a sudden death. There was a plastic sleeve attached to the battery that contained the purchase receipt. Purchased in 2002, well that explains it. It took about 10 - 15 phone calls to actually find someone available to take me to O'Reily's (I was trying to work out in concentric circles from my house), but I finally got a new battery. The guy testing the old one simply said, "Yup, it's dead," with a total resignation telling me that there was no hope in rejuvenating it. New battery, check. Now I'm mobile again...

Fast forward to where I'm headed west on Stadium. A loud thunk followed by an instantaneous loss of power steering control, coupled with a drop in battery voltage from 14 V to barely 10 V, and a slowly rising engine thermometer told me something was wrong with the Jeep. I drove to HyVee's parking lot, popped the hood, and to my horror see my shredded serpentine belt wrapped around the fan axle and held tight. This explained everything; the thunk I heard while driving was the serpentine belt coming loose and falling into the fan blades, pulling the belt off the power steering pump (causing a loss of power steering), the alternator (causing the sudden drop in engine voltage). The freezing up of the fan and lack of water pump circulation triggered the slow and steady rise of engine temperature well beyond what an engine should run (had I thought of it at the time, I could have helped ease the engine temp by turning on my heater full blast to dissipate the heat). After Adam helped me replace the serpentine belt, he noticed that the water pump pulley had bad bearings, and so today we towed it to a garage, explained the problem, and asked for a check-up and estimate.

Year two started today, and it'll be fun and challenging. This year is all pathology; the study of the mechanisms of disease. We had a lecture on cellular response to injury, which covered hypoxia, necrosis, apoptosis, and some other fun stuff. We also had two lectures on patient care; one was diagnostic approach to cough and dyspnea (difficulty breathing) and chest radiology (with lots of chest x-ray cases). Fun!

I'm starting to use Tyler's old electric razor. I have been having lots of thoughts on the whole "keep something to remember him by" philosophy. At times I've felt guilty for benefiting through a friend's death, at others happy to help redeem stuff that may otherwise find it's way to the dumpster. There's still several other things sitting around that belonged to Tyler, although most of his stuff is gone. There are a few books that he read portions of, or had plans to read, that his parents left behind. One of them I'll likely read. Some days I look at the remaining stuff that belonged to him thinking he'll still be coming back to pick it up; I'm just borrowing some things, really. At least, without those remnants, it'd be far harder to remember the year we three just finished living together and the life he lived here.

As for the sex, I found this article in the news today. Just a little food for thought. Maybe some of you I know work around teenagers will find it an interesting topic.

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

Glory, pt. 1

Today was the Rock Equippers retreat. Basically, the equippers retreat is a day long getaway out of town somewhere where the small group leaders can gather together, be encouraged, share stories, and have John Drage remind us of what we have committed to as leaders and renew our commitments to ministry. One of the verses John shared in his introduction of our time together was 1 Peter 2:9. It says: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9 The verse is exceptionally powerful. I was reminded of the following quote: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship....There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal....

Last wedding of the season

Today I attended my fifth (yes 5th) wedding of this year. No one else that I know of is getting married before the end of the year, and that's good, because one season of giving wedding gifts is enough to break the bank. I easily spent an undisclosed large sum of money altogether on wedding gifts. Sheesh! Weddings can be incredibly wonderful, and sometimes difficult. Incredibly wonderful predominates however, as I am usually very excited to be able to participate in a lovely couple's special day and celebrate with them. Difficult sometimes in that if I'm not careful I can either 1.) start to feel the wedding-fever creep up and make me feel like I need to start looking for my own wife-to-be, or 2.) remind me that I haven't gotten to that point of finding someone to marry yet. I'm glad that for today's wedding, I was able to avoid falling into both traps. Now, about the wedding. Aaron Ferguson and Stevi Davis had known each other since I can remember. I had always...