Skip to main content

Three's a charm

In psychiatry, there's a set of three patterns of thought that are observed in depression known as the cognitive triad. The cognitive triad consists of the following:
  • A negative view of oneself
  • A negative interpretation of experience
  • A negative view of the future
Outside of clinical depression syndromes, I feel it adequately describes the pattern of thinking in any episode of depressed mood. Having tried to think through my own periods of moodiness and depression, I've found that the mood often exists and persists only when all three patterns of thought are present. More on this later, but first a breakdown of how the triad has occured in my own thought process.

To start, I've had a decent amount of difficulty with self-esteem, and with large groups of people social anxiety as well. When I begin to start feeling depressed, it will often start with "a negative interpretation of experience". Usually with people this manifests as an anxiety that the person or people do not care for my company, or are bored of me, or less excited about spending time with me than were I to be someone else who's company they prefer more. In the past when I worked in Residential Life it manifest as "my residents don't seem to think I'm exciting to be around", or if I'm trying to plan a social event and people don't show up, I may become down on the event and blame myself for not being desired for company. These negative experiences often lead towards the "negative view of oneself" although not always a direct thought of "i'm a failure". Oftentimes I find an end-around to essentially reach the same conclusion, which is "these people/this person must think I'm a failure, or worthless". The only difference in stating this is I am accentuating the importance I hold in what others think of me, and that is a futile source of affirmation. The last thought pattern, "a negative view of the future," occurs when I believe that the previous two thought processes are true and unchangeable, and that the negative experience will ultimately continue or pervade other aspects of my life, or that I simply cannot be any more appealing to people than I am, and fail to feel validated.

I've thought through what might occur were one of the three thought patterns were to be removed. If I remove a negative view of the future, then the mood would never persist, and any negative thoughts about myself or an experience would ultimately be forgotten. If I remove negative thoughts about myself (and this would come only through affirming my worth through God, and disregarding any concern for peoples' opinions of me), I would never blame myself for something wrong that occurs, and likely be a lot more motivated to change things. If I were to cut away the negative view of an experience (which is often where I start in the first place) I likely would not fall into the other two thought patterns.

I had a conversation with a friend the other night about this kind of thinking during times of depression. It's no secret to many people that I've really struggled with depression the last two to three months, and a lot of it falls into the above triad; a few small things started the ball rolling, and eventually it was so big that what was left was a massive amount of hopelessness, despair, and unresolved anger. Some of that is resolved, but some of it I'm not sure. I know that I haven't completely resolved or done away with the triad thinking (and I'm not sure how to permanently remove it), but its something to work on. What it will ultimately boil down to, I assume, is a willingness to trust God's sovreignty on a good many things, and a faith that I am loved by God, something I think I have a difficulty with deep down. Lastly, a faith that I am loved by people and that my circle of friends is broader than three.

Popular posts from this blog

Surgical notes: Bleeding always stops eventually

It was Wednesday night last week that I had my first night of trauma call. Instead of my normal quota of one pager going off no less than once per day (usually with breaking news on our lecture schedule, but often to find my team or receive tasks), I was carrying a second: the trauma pager. It's not so much a pager to answer as it is an alert to begin making your way to the ER to admit an incoming trauma patient. I paged the resident on call for trauma service, and gave him my own personal pager number as well in case he needed to reach me for anything else. That was at 5 pm. It was almost 6 pm when I was paged and informed there was an in-house patient headed to the OR with an upper GI bleed. The surgical team was informed I would be on my way to help out, and I was to head to suite 15. I hung up and left the lounge to head towards the OR. I scrubbed before I walked into the OR suite, hat and mask in place as well, and was greeted by the scrub nurse who asked for my glove size...

Lexington Square

Lexington Square Originally uploaded by Dr Peppers . Here's a shot of the courtyard inside my townhouse complex. Just one of a few of the photos I made with my new camera . Check out my photo feed here The rest of this weekend, however, will most likely be devoted to studying and taking practice quizzes. Hopefully, at least.

Circumstance, Coincidence

Lately, I've been thinking about Tyler. His desk chair and his electric razor are two things of his that I kept (many people who knew him took items that belonged to him, to put them to use instead of going to trash and to remember him by). Sitting in what was once his chair, I can "visit" with him, in a sense. I know others who knew him are doing the same when they look at pictures, or what they kept of his. "You are the salt of the earth. Buf if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." --- Jesus, Matthew 5:13-16 This was the foundation for my fri...