Skip to main content

Welcome to the Big Leagues

The summer research jump from last year to this year has been quite a step. I did a small research project, not too terribly important, last summer, that was published in a free online-only journal (in other words, not a real big deal, but worth being proud of).

This past summer, I worked on infectious disease research in the pediatric department at the University's Children's hospital. My mentor, Dr. Mato, gave me and my classmate Amanda assurance that we would most definately see our work published. Yesterday, when I dropped by Dr. Mato's office while up on the pediatrics floor, she spoke of submitting my research for the Pediatric Academic Societys' annual meeting in Toronto for presentation. If my work is accepted, it would mean the chance to present my poster and research in front of doctors and researchers from across the country.

Being only a medical student at best, I was humbled to find out she sees us presenting research amists other researchers who have done this their entire lives. Maybe I won't end up getting to go at all, but I'm excited and hoping that I'll get the chance (and hopefully my classmate Amanda will get the chance to go as well, and we can keep each other company having fun in Toronto).

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

I'm Getting Published!

SERUM MARKERS OF INFLAMMATION AND ENDOTHELIAL FUNCTION ARE ELEVATED BY HORMONAL CONTRACEPTIVE USE BUT NOT BY EXERCISE-ASSOCIATED MENSTRUAL DISORDERS IN PHYSICALLY ACTIVE YOUNG WOMEN Hinton PS, Rector RS, Peppers JE, Imhoff RD, Hillman LS Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia, USA You can index me in PubMed after June 2006.

Circumstance, Coincidence

Lately, I've been thinking about Tyler. His desk chair and his electric razor are two things of his that I kept (many people who knew him took items that belonged to him, to put them to use instead of going to trash and to remember him by). Sitting in what was once his chair, I can "visit" with him, in a sense. I know others who knew him are doing the same when they look at pictures, or what they kept of his. "You are the salt of the earth. Buf if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." --- Jesus, Matthew 5:13-16 This was the foundation for my fri...