Skip to main content

Visiting Edward

I'm just about ready to put a bullet in my Jeep after the recent headaches it's putting me through. First the whole brake system needed replacement, then a belt pulley all but broke, and in the last few days I am hearing a new noise under the hood. I'll be very frustrated if I have to pay for much more here lately to repair my Jeep.

Last Wednesday I had a special opportunity to visit someone. Classmate Janette McVey, currently on pediatrics, informed me that Edward, the African refuge child I cared for during my inpatient month, had a well child visit on November 14th. She told me he and his family would really like me to stop in and pay a visit. After clearing it with my chief resident last week while on inpatient, I was able to drive over to Green Meadows post-call and surprise Edward by walking into his exam room.

Edward greeted me by walking! He is completely without need of a walker or cane now, and easily sauntered to me and hugged me as I knelt to grab him in a big embrace. His mom quickly jumped up with her digital camera and snapped a few photos of us. As I stood up Edward continued to simply lean his body against mine while I rested my arm around him. "So this is the beloved physician," their refuge case worker commented, saying that Edward has been expecting me to show up at clinic. Few things have been as wonderful to hear as that.

Edward got his exam, and had his vaccinations administered while I held his hand. I sat on the floor beside him while his sister had her checkup, letting him embrace my arm while holding my hand. Occasionally he would test his strength by trying to wrestle my arm, and occasionally I'd let him win. His mom showed me some pictures from Halloween, and of family activities, and snapped a few more of us. I gave her my email so she could send me some pictures soon. After an hour I reluctantly said my goodbyes and hugged Edward once more, and promised to keep up with them. I still don't speak French, and Edward manages only a handful of animal names and some numbers and abc's, but we understand each other when we touch. Touch is good medicine.

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

Glory, pt. 1

Today was the Rock Equippers retreat. Basically, the equippers retreat is a day long getaway out of town somewhere where the small group leaders can gather together, be encouraged, share stories, and have John Drage remind us of what we have committed to as leaders and renew our commitments to ministry. One of the verses John shared in his introduction of our time together was 1 Peter 2:9. It says: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9 The verse is exceptionally powerful. I was reminded of the following quote: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship....There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal....

Last wedding of the season

Today I attended my fifth (yes 5th) wedding of this year. No one else that I know of is getting married before the end of the year, and that's good, because one season of giving wedding gifts is enough to break the bank. I easily spent an undisclosed large sum of money altogether on wedding gifts. Sheesh! Weddings can be incredibly wonderful, and sometimes difficult. Incredibly wonderful predominates however, as I am usually very excited to be able to participate in a lovely couple's special day and celebrate with them. Difficult sometimes in that if I'm not careful I can either 1.) start to feel the wedding-fever creep up and make me feel like I need to start looking for my own wife-to-be, or 2.) remind me that I haven't gotten to that point of finding someone to marry yet. I'm glad that for today's wedding, I was able to avoid falling into both traps. Now, about the wedding. Aaron Ferguson and Stevi Davis had known each other since I can remember. I had always...