Skip to main content

My last day in the classroom

Today was a very special occasion. I am officially done with classroom-based schoolwork. I will occasionally have a lecture to go to, but my day-to-day routine will not be lecture/classroom based. From here on out, I will be working directly with the patients, and I can't wait.

It was also the last day that Docapella, as it is this year, would likely ever perform together. As is customary we sang on the last day of lecture for both the M1's and M2's, first in the morning (for the M1's) and then the afternoon (for the M2's). Singing Billy Joel's "Longest Time", I felt we sounded the best we have ever sounded, which made the occasion even more memorable. Our voices harmonized, our fingers snapped in rhythm, and we had our audience completely captivated. Even this evening studying at Lakota, a classmate said that our performances will be the most missed thing about the first two years lectures. That's a huge reward to hear.

After my exams next Wednesday - Friday, I will kick studying into an even higher gear as I make a final 3-week push to prepare for the boards on June 2nd. This is the first and often mentioned most important of the boards, as it is the test score residency programs look at the most, and can influence how much of a chance you have to get into a competitive field. A week after that I will start my psychiatry rotation.

I am really excited about doing the psychiatry rotation, even though right now I am not considering it as a specialty. I think that I am somewhat nervous about talking to people with mental disorders, but at the same time am in no way intimidated. I have always felt a great fulfillment in listening and talking to and caring for someone through the giving of my time and my heart, and I think that psychiatry is the best example of a medical field where that can be most explemplified.

I don't think I can in any way promise to have as great an influence on a mental patient's outcome in 6 weeks as a physician can over the course of an ongoing relationship, but I care for the patient as one person to another. I sincerely hope that after six weeks the patients I have been able to see will say that they felt sincerely cared for and listened to, and if I can help better their life by that alone, I think I'll feel I was effective.

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

Glory, pt. 1

Today was the Rock Equippers retreat. Basically, the equippers retreat is a day long getaway out of town somewhere where the small group leaders can gather together, be encouraged, share stories, and have John Drage remind us of what we have committed to as leaders and renew our commitments to ministry. One of the verses John shared in his introduction of our time together was 1 Peter 2:9. It says: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9 The verse is exceptionally powerful. I was reminded of the following quote: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship....There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal....

Last wedding of the season

Today I attended my fifth (yes 5th) wedding of this year. No one else that I know of is getting married before the end of the year, and that's good, because one season of giving wedding gifts is enough to break the bank. I easily spent an undisclosed large sum of money altogether on wedding gifts. Sheesh! Weddings can be incredibly wonderful, and sometimes difficult. Incredibly wonderful predominates however, as I am usually very excited to be able to participate in a lovely couple's special day and celebrate with them. Difficult sometimes in that if I'm not careful I can either 1.) start to feel the wedding-fever creep up and make me feel like I need to start looking for my own wife-to-be, or 2.) remind me that I haven't gotten to that point of finding someone to marry yet. I'm glad that for today's wedding, I was able to avoid falling into both traps. Now, about the wedding. Aaron Ferguson and Stevi Davis had known each other since I can remember. I had always...