Skip to main content

Match Day, the medical student "draft"

Perhaps the biggest event in all of medical education outside of graduation itself is match day. Match day is the day during fourth year when medical students across the country find out where they have been accepted for residency. In many ways, it is like a professional sports draft; students file past a large table of envelops to receive theirs, not knowing what residency program they've matched to until they open that powerful letter. A little background on the match process...

Students initially register for the match process in their fourth years with the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAP), and through the fall and early winter of fourth year interview with the residency programs in the specialty field of their choice/interest. By early January, students begin to submit a rank list of the programs they are interested in, in order of interest. The programs that they interviewed with then submit a rank list of students they wish to accept as new medical interns. A computer then "matches" each student with the program that is the closest match in terms of ranking. For example, if the program you rank #1 also ranks you at the top, or at least closer than the program you ranked #2 ranked you, then you match there (i.e. - ranks of 1 and 2, or 1 and 3, are closer matches than 2 and 6, for example). On Match Day, the third Thursday in March, students receive their envelops which inform them of their residency placement.

It was exciting to stand atop a bench in the Atrium of the medical school and gaze out on all the familiar faces I have seen and people I've known in the last almost two years. First through fourth years were present, along with families, friends, husbands and wives, doctors, residents, mentors, and many more as well. Many hugged, some kissed, some screamed for joy, some cried tears of happiness, some of sorrow. To think that I will be one of the many students receiving their match in the next two years suddenly seems so very close and near. It is not far in the future that I will be transitioning from student to working physician. It's a little scary, in many ways.

As I see more and more patients through APD, I am feeling more and more comfortable with doing a history and physical exam (although I still have far to go before I can be considered expert in proficiency or efficiency). My depth of knowledge is gradually growing, almost it seems on it's own. My ability to learn seems to be getting better as well, as I become better at determining what is most important to remember, and being able to put what I know with what I observe clinically. Still, the idea of being the person who will make the call on how to treat a patient is something that strikes a chord of fear in me. What if the patient asks me a question I can't answer? What if I don't know what to do? What if I make a mistake? What if I have to tell them I messed up? What if I can't, because they died from my mistake? Those questions, if you could tell, gradiate the level of fear that comes with being autonomous in the care of your patients. For the time being at least, even through residency, I will have the safety net of an attending supervising me. It will thankfully be a good five years or more before I remove the training wheels.

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

Circumstance, Coincidence

Lately, I've been thinking about Tyler. His desk chair and his electric razor are two things of his that I kept (many people who knew him took items that belonged to him, to put them to use instead of going to trash and to remember him by). Sitting in what was once his chair, I can "visit" with him, in a sense. I know others who knew him are doing the same when they look at pictures, or what they kept of his. "You are the salt of the earth. Buf if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." --- Jesus, Matthew 5:13-16 This was the foundation for my fri...

Glory, pt. 1

Today was the Rock Equippers retreat. Basically, the equippers retreat is a day long getaway out of town somewhere where the small group leaders can gather together, be encouraged, share stories, and have John Drage remind us of what we have committed to as leaders and renew our commitments to ministry. One of the verses John shared in his introduction of our time together was 1 Peter 2:9. It says: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9 The verse is exceptionally powerful. I was reminded of the following quote: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship....There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal....