Skip to main content

Summer Daze

I'm in a halt with research lately, since there are no more subjects I can currently gather data on. Why is that bad? Because I start class in the second week of August, and because I'm not even halfway to finished with this research project. Why can't my research move forward? It's because the billing department's wonderful worker who's been helping us has not been able to find subjects using the search method she is employing. Also, she's a tad slow in getting work done and to us in a timely manner.

In other news, my grandparents came to visit on Friday of last week. I love my grandparents with a passion. Age has definately awarded them wisdom. It has also awarded them humor. The highlights:
  • Grandma: "Want to go in that Lakota place and get some coffee?" Grandpa: "We can't go in there, we're not carrying laptops!"
  • "Those fancy coffeeshops don't have senior coffee. I can get one for $.50 at McDonald's" - Grandpa
  • "My hair's not doing what I want it to do. It's the shampoo's fault" - Grandma
  • "You used to be a really good parallel parker." Grandma, to Grandpa
  • "Hon, I want some ice cream." - Grandma
  • "Don't ever put others up to standards you set. At least, don't tell them you do, haha." - Grandma

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

Circumstance, Coincidence

Lately, I've been thinking about Tyler. His desk chair and his electric razor are two things of his that I kept (many people who knew him took items that belonged to him, to put them to use instead of going to trash and to remember him by). Sitting in what was once his chair, I can "visit" with him, in a sense. I know others who knew him are doing the same when they look at pictures, or what they kept of his. "You are the salt of the earth. Buf if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." --- Jesus, Matthew 5:13-16 This was the foundation for my fri...

Glory, pt. 1

Today was the Rock Equippers retreat. Basically, the equippers retreat is a day long getaway out of town somewhere where the small group leaders can gather together, be encouraged, share stories, and have John Drage remind us of what we have committed to as leaders and renew our commitments to ministry. One of the verses John shared in his introduction of our time together was 1 Peter 2:9. It says: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9 The verse is exceptionally powerful. I was reminded of the following quote: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship....There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal....