Skip to main content

Back from the third world


Guatemalan girl
Originally uploaded by Dr Peppers.
The trip to Guatemala two weeks ago was simply amazing. For starters, the caliber and character of people I was with was of the highest quality. Their faith and encouragement kept the whole week nothing short of incredible.

We got to visit the western hemisphere's largest indigenous market in Chichicastenango Sunday, and we all spent large sums of money gathering lots of exotic goods.

Monday through Thursday we held clinics in three different locations; Tuesday and Wednesday were the same location. During my day to do medical consults on Thursday, I got the opportunity to do a fetal ultrasound, and I also got my digital rectal exam done (a requirement for all first year medical students). All in all, we saw approximately 350 patients, took several care packages to needy people, delivered a number of Bibles, prayed over and encouraged people, and left tons of pharmaceuticals for the permanent clinic in Chichicastenango.

Some of my favorite memories I will have from this trip include:
1. Running around the marketplace with the other four guys on the trip
2. Seeing the mountains of Guatemala from the clinics
3. Everyone feeling compelled to give me their food so I don't waste away
4. Singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic" in its entirety
5. Feeling a baby in the womb at 30 weeks
6. Praying with two old women to accept Christ
7. Standing in awe of the beauty of Lake Atitlan

As always, click the photo above to view additional pictures on my photostream.

Popular posts from this blog

Of Mice and Midbrains

It's just after 2 p.m., I've turned in my exam, but still have to wait around until 3:30 to do a 20 point section on neuroanatomy cross sections. I feel pretty good about the exam, I studied like crazy and I think it's all finally paid off. I should be studying cross sections, but I decided killing time was far more worth my while. And it lets me find really interesting stuff, such as this MC Hammer music video online. Since I'm just finishing a block on neurology, my first thought when watching Master Hammer dance was that he had bilateral hemiballismus , which is a problem caused by a lesion to the subthalamic nucleus in the brainstem. People with hemibalism tend to have wild erratic flailing movements because they've lost a part of the brainstem that helps suppress random movements. Is Hammer a medical case? You decide... In other news, I am flying out of Kansas City to head to Guatemala , for a one week medical mission. I'll spend four days working in a cli...

Circumstance, Coincidence

Lately, I've been thinking about Tyler. His desk chair and his electric razor are two things of his that I kept (many people who knew him took items that belonged to him, to put them to use instead of going to trash and to remember him by). Sitting in what was once his chair, I can "visit" with him, in a sense. I know others who knew him are doing the same when they look at pictures, or what they kept of his. "You are the salt of the earth. Buf if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." --- Jesus, Matthew 5:13-16 This was the foundation for my fri...

Glory, pt. 1

Today was the Rock Equippers retreat. Basically, the equippers retreat is a day long getaway out of town somewhere where the small group leaders can gather together, be encouraged, share stories, and have John Drage remind us of what we have committed to as leaders and renew our commitments to ministry. One of the verses John shared in his introduction of our time together was 1 Peter 2:9. It says: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9 The verse is exceptionally powerful. I was reminded of the following quote: "It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship....There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal....